Re: OPP patch and new build.xml file...

On Thu, 19 Apr 2001, David Li wrote:
> > > Being a directory based task in Ant has an advantage of specify a
> > > fileset pattern (for example, for all the *Impl.java under src
> > > directory). It beats manually maintaining the list of Impl file to
> > > generate the proxy.
> >
> > ok, ok... I'm convinced ;)
> >

> Will get on the Ant task for OPP hacking this weekend.

I have to give you commit access then, right? ;)

> > I checked this again and found that you didn't change the start scripts to
> > reflect the new place for the classes.
> >

> Actually, I did. I forgot to include it in the patch.
>
> > Basically I don't like this separated build dir because lib,doc,classes dirs
> > are different dirs in the distrib and self compiled source tree then.
> >
> > The start scripts have to search both places. Which one first? This may also
> > lead to situation where you are working on outdated classes because an
> > ozone.jar is lying around where you don't expect it. Which is the best way to
> > come around these problems?
> >

> The following is how I typically arrange my source tree.
>
> Foo +--- bin (for scripts)
>     +--- lib (additional jars needed to compile source)
>     +--- doc (documents, except javadoc)
>     +--- src (for source)
>     +--- build +--- classes (for generated classes)
>                +--- src (for generated source)
>                +--- javadoc (for javadoc, I think apidoc is a better
> name)
>                +--- bin (for converted scripts)
>                +--- lib (for generated jars from source)
>
> Typically, for the scripts in the bin directory, it will includes
> build/class and all jars in top level bin directory in its class path.
> This makes it easier for the developers to get the latest compiled
> classes.
>
> The build/bin will contained fixed scripts ready to go into a binary
> distribution. There is a 'dist.bin' target in my build.xml which is an
> example of how the binary distibuion is created.
>
> Also, there is a dist.src directory that create a source code
> distribution. Basically, including everything other than the build
> directory.
>
> This is the advantage I see putting all generated files under one build
> directory. It makes it easier to create clean distribution.

Ok, but the build dir has to contain a complete distribution then. All libs and
scripts are moved there and are intended to be started in the build dir. This is
how jboss handles this. Are there any drawbacks with this?

> > No generated files in CVS, clear. If we don't want them in CVS, then we simply
> > don't check them in. It makes no difference if they are in the same dir or
> > somehwhere else.
>
> Sounds good to me.
>
> > > In the mean time, you can do it with the BasicConfigurator. Check out
> > > the PatternLayout in Log4J. It has detail document on how to do this
> > > (and other various of logging formant).
> >
> > I like the new Log4J logger and the flexibility it gives us but I don't have the
> > time to play that much with it. ;) So, please can you make us a default
> > impl/config that does only print raw class names?
>
> OK. I will send you the codes later.

> > > Thanks. Ozone is very cool. I have been following it since its release.
> >
> > Since the very first 0.1 release??? Wow!
> >

> Probably not that early. However, I do have ozone 0.2.4 dist in my disk.
> ;)

Wow! Not bad. 0.2 was the first open source release...